Sunday, February 5, 2012

Cahpters 12, 16-18, 21-23

Question 1
Abram/Abraham reacts the way he does before going to Egypt because I think he is scared of what he might face once he gets there.  Another reason why I think he reacts the way he does because he is lying. I think he is scared of getting caught in his own lie, which does end up happening.  Instead of lying from the beginning about his wife pretending to be his sister he should have told the truth even if the consequences were not so good.  By him lying his consequences were worse I think.  When a person is meeting someone for the first time they want to impress and they would do anything in order for that to happen such as lying, but lying doesn't benefit anyone.  It is best to be who you really are and always tell the truth because it gets you further in life.
Question 2
When reading the story from Sarahs perspective I believe she remains quite because she is just obeying her husband.  By obeying him it is somewhat protecting him.  Another way of looking at her perspective is that maybe secretly she wanted to be with Pharaoh.  I don't think she gained anything here in this situation.  Lying just got both her and Abraham into bigger trouble.
Question 4
I think god test Abraham with killing his son because he is the ruler and whatever he says should go.  God was seeing if Abraham was loyal to him and willing to do whatever he told him to do.  By listening to what god ordered him to say is in a way really believing in him.  God now sees Abraham as a loyal follower.  I think god needs more proof from Abraham about how loyal he really is even though he has already done so much because its like the constant reassurance.  People in power need to know 24/7 how powerful they really are because it builds up there confidence.  The story really states that Abraham is very loyal to the divine one.  I think Abraham believes that if he does all of these things for god then he will somewhat be rewarded.  Like for example
By myself I have sworn, declares the LORD, because you have done this and have not withheld your son, your only son, 17I will surely bless you, and I will surely multiply your offspring as the stars of heaven and as the sand that is on the seashore. And your offspring shall possess the gate of hisd enemies, 18and in your offspring shall all the nations of the earth be blessed, because you have obeyed my voice."

No comments:

Post a Comment