Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Arabic Poetry

1) While reading The Dove's Necklace I picked up on two themes that interested me.  The first one being passion and the second theme I found in the readings was anger.  I think in any relationship involving two people there is always lots of passion.  When I say passion I mean an extreme love for that other person. Passion is that feeling when you cant even be away from your significant other for more then a minute.  Passion can also relate to physical love too.  Usually when passion occurs between a couple both people involved have it for one another, but in some cases such as the one in the readings only he had passion for her and she was not reciprocating the feelings.  She kept her options open and was still looking for Mr. Right.  I found anger to be a big theme in the readings because the man could not win her love.  He stated that he would basically do anything to be next to her and if he couldn't be then he thought about death. I can understand why he felt angry and would do something so dramatic.  People these days feel the same way when they have feelings for someone, but the other person does not.  They might not threaten death, but they will sure try anything to just be with that person.
2) I thought the themes that I found in the readings carried over in the poetry.  For example the poem on page 40.  The poem talks highly about passion between two people or in this case just one person.  In the poem he expresses his feelings to her.  What I interpreted from it was that he was expressing his love to her and she basically just turned him down.  When she turned him down he became jealous, which brought out his anger and aggravation because he just wants to be with her and she is just looking for Mr. Right.  The other poem that I found is on page 41.  The man tries so hard to make her fall in love with him that he would do anything to just be next to her.  His anger brought him to the idea of even killing himself if he could not be with her.  He also seems to be quite obsessed with her, which is very creepy.  I can now understand why she is not interested in him.  Women always want what they cant have and I think its the same for men.  He's obsessing over her because shes not jumping right into his arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment