Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The Decameron

After reading the assigned readings I decided to focus mostly on the theme of peer pressure.  I found that this theme speaks to the certain aspects of the Mediterranean cultures that we have discussed over the semester.  One specific culture aspect of the Mediterranean that I found related to the readings and my theme was religion.  During the first day, second story Abraham was pressured by his good friend Giannotto to convert to christianity.  Abraham had his concerns and daughts because he thought the whole church was corupt, but Giannotto insisted that he goes through it and Abraham finally decided to go through with it.  He felt that even though the church seemed corrupt, if christianity was still spreading then god must be the reason for it and he wanted to be as close as possible to god.  I think that through out all the readings we have read religion plays a major role in peoples lives, especially if you believe so strongly in god.  These people that we have read about just want to be closer to god because they feel like if they do what god says then they will be accepted by him.  They look to god as an important figure like a leader.  I do not agree with being pressured into a religion though.  I think changing your religion should be a decision made on your own not pressure from friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment