Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Songs of Holy Mary

The two narrative songs I chose from the readings were song 2 and song 4.  In song 2 the virgin Mary seems to be this powerful figure.  She really can say what ever she wants and expects people to respect her and listen to her orders.  My opinion on the holy Mary is that she feels a bit entitled because she is the virgin mother.  I can understand that and am sort of in favor of her feeling of entitlement.  That is the main theme I found in this song was the feeling of power.  She had the control and specifically said that if anyone wears the garment she had given to the saint other then him they would face death.  They should have listened to her because in the end of the song someone else did wear the garment and they were soon killed.
In song 4 I found the punishment of the little boy to be very cruel, but I guess that was something common back then.  Bringing this idea to this day and age I can completely understand the anger a parent would have if there child all of a sudden decided to switch religions and forget everything they were raised to believe in.  If I did this sort of action my parents would be extremely disappointed in me.  The theme in this song is also power.  The little boy did not care about following the rules that his parents set for him.  He wanted to do what was right for him.  The holy Mary in this song was also seen as a powerful figure and the boy was intrigued by this and was kind of caught up in her spell.
The role of Mary in each of these songs is someone who is very powerful and likes telling people what to do with there lives.
Especially in song 4 religion plays a key part in the whole plot.  I think it is important to believe in something and follow the customs of a particular religion, I just think it is hard to go against what you have been raised on.  Meaning how can you just switch religions so easily when you've been raised Jewish your whole life.  There two totally different religions with different customs.

No comments:

Post a Comment